- June 19, 2017
- Posted by: Josiah Hincks Solicitors
- Category: Employment Law Updates
On the whole, we are not accustomed in the UK to long periods of hot weather, so when high temperatures do occur employers may not be prepared to deal with situations that arise as a result.
The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) has guidance for employers on this topic. This includes information on employers’ health and safety obligations as regards ensuring that workplace temperatures are reasonable as well as adjustments that may be necessary, such as:
- more flexible working where public transport is affected;
- measures to accommodate Muslims fasting during the Holy Month of Ramadan;
- measures to ensure vulnerable workers are not at a disadvantage; and
- relaxing dress codes.