Josiah Hincks Solicitors are expert employment lawyers who can help with Race Discrimination Law. Based in Leicester, with four offices across the County, our race discrimination solicitors can help you bring an Employment Tribunal Claim for race discrimination whether that claim is a standalone claim or combined with an unfair dismissal claim.
Race discrimination includes discrimination on the grounds of:
- Ethnic or national origins
Examples of race discrimination include:
- Name calling
- Offensive comments/ gestures
- Not being chosen for a job or promotion because of race, nationality or ethnic background
- Being dismissed because of race, nationality or ethnic background
- Being subjected to less favourable treatment because of race, nationality or ethnic background
- Being chosen for redundancy because of race, nationality or ethnic background
There is a defence to race discrimination which is that it is an occupational requirement. This means that employers can positively discriminate and choose to employ people from certain ethnic groups in certain situations such as:
- Choosing a Chinese waiter/waitress in a Chinese restaurant
- Choosing a specific actor/ actress to preserve integrity
- Models for artists and photographers
- Those providing welfare services to a particular group
If you think you have been discriminated against or would like further advice please call our employment team at the office closest to you or via the contact button on this page.