Our pricing for bringing and defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal is typically based on the Solicitors relevant hourly rate, which range from £195-300 plus VAT per hour.
In our experience, the following range of costs may be typical in defending a claim for unfair or wrongful dismissal. These estimates are to take a matter from start to conclusion, taking into regard the steps of an unfair dismissal claim mentioned above.
Simple case: £1,000-3,000 (excluding VAT)
Medium complexity case: £3,000-£6,000 (excluding VAT)
High complexity case: £6,000-£10,000 (excluding VAT)
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
There will be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing based upon the hourly rate of the solicitor. Generally, we would allow 1-5 days depending on the complexity of your case. For most matters, we would likely instruct a Barrister to represent you at the Tribunal Hearing, likely costs are
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Tribunal fees and barristers costs. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Barrister’s fees estimated between £750 to £2500 per day plus VAT (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).