Josiah Hincks Solicitors have expert employment lawyers who can advise you on Sex Discrimination Law and Sex Discrimination Claims. Our solicitors strive for justice and fairness, and discrimination on the grounds of sex is unacceptable in a modern society. Our Sex Discrimination Solicitors will help you get the compensation you deserve, whether that is at Leicester Employment Tribunal or other Employment Tribunals, or simply through ACAS or direct with your employer.
The law on sex discrimination applies equally to men, women and transsexuals. It also prevents discrimination against married couples and couples in a civil partnership.
If you are dismissed because of childbirth or pregnancy this will not only be automatically unfair dismissal but also sex discrimination.
Examples of sex discrimination include:
- Name calling
- Offensive comments/gestures
- Not being chosen for a job or promotion because gender, child birth, pregnancy, marriage or civil partnership
- Being dismissed because of gender, child birth, pregnancy ,marriage or civil partnership
- Being subjected to less favourable treatment because of gender, child birth, pregnancy, marriage or civil partnership
- Being chosen for redundancy because of gender, child birth, pregnancy, marriage or civil partnership
- Being subjected to inappropriate behaviour (this will also be classified as harassment).
There is a defence to sex discrimination which is that it is an occupational requirement. This means that employers can positively discriminate and choose to employ people of certain genders in certain situations such as:
- Models for artists and photographers
- Those providing welfare services to a particular gender
- Choosing a specific actor/ actress to preserve integrity
Josiah Hincks Solicitors have extensive experience in dealing with all types of discrimination claims so if you have any questions or want impartial advice call our employment team today or email us via the Contact Form on the right of this page.