- February 27, 2017
- Posted by: Josiah Hincks Solicitors
- Category: Business Law Updates
The Employment Rights (Increase of Limits) Order 2017, which details the annual inflation-linked changes in limits on the compensation amounts which can be awarded by employment tribunals, will apply where the appropriate date falls on or after 6 April 2017.
The main changes are:
- The maximum amount of a week’s pay for the purpose of calculating a redundancy payment, or for various awards including the basic or additional award of compensation for unfair dismissal, increases from £479 to £489;
- The minimum amount of compensation where an individual is found to have been unlawfully excluded or expelled from a trade union increases from £8,939 to £9,118; and
- The statutory maximum compensatory award for unfair dismissal increases from £78,962 to £80,541.
There is no statutory cap on the amount a tribunal can award in discrimination cases.
Click here for full details of the changes.