- December 2, 2016
- Posted by: Steven Mather
- Category: Our News
Resolution are promoting their ‘Good Divorce Week’ this week and Resolution members will be campaigning for ‘no fault divorces’ and more improved rights for cohabitating couples in Parliament. Our divorce solicitors in Leicester explain what this is about.
Currently, the only ground for divorce in England and Wales is proving that your marriage has broken down irretrievably. You can prove this by one of the five following facts:-
- Unreasonable behaviour
- Two years separation with the other party’s consent
- Five years separation without obtaining the other party’s consent.
By campaigning for ‘no fault divorces’, this in turn, could reduce conflict which quite often arises in divorces which are fault based. The only two facts which are not based on one party’s fault is being separated for two years with the other party’s consent or being separated for five years without the other party’s consent. As a result, many individuals do not wait for 2 or 5 years and they issue their divorce petitions based on one of the other fault based facts which can resort in conflict. Should the ‘no fault divorce’ take effect those who wish to divorce amicably may do so without having to point the finger of blame.
As Resolution members, our family law solicitors in Leicester are signed up to the Resolution Code. This means that our solicitors in the Family Department will:-
- Reduce or manage any conflict and confrontation;
- Support and encourage families to put the best interests of any children first.
- Act with honesty, integrity and objectively;
- Help clients understand and manage the potential long-term financial and emotional consequences of these decisions;
- Use their experience and knowledge to guide clients through the options that are available to them.
As Resolution members we fully support ‘Good Divorce Week’ and being able to bring a marriage to an end in the least stressful and most amicable way possible by following the Resolution Code. If you would like to find out more about more about Resolution and their campaign please go to http://www.resolution.org.uk/gooddivorceweek/.
Should you wish to discuss how we can assist you in divorce proceedings and the costs involved, please contact one of our solicitors in our family department who specialise in matrimonial matters and who are Resolution Members on:
Leicester: 0116 255 1811
Syston: 0116 344 0210
Blaby: 0116 264 3430
Market Harborough: 01858 462 462
Coalville: 01530 835 041